Tuesday, March 21, 2006

fun times at the carnival

Nice springtime weather came through this weekend with good timing for our little Sunday morning carnival.

I organized it with the dar chebab leaders and the older students. A big part of what I'm here to do is 'capacity building' of youth and counterparts. This means that I help to get and keep things going, but I make sure others are responsible and in charge of things. This can be frustrating (just doing something yourself your way would be so much quicker and easier sometimes) - but capacity building is real development. On to the carnival.

One of the main events was a rather complicated game that involved dice, a numbered board, questions hidden all over the place outdoors, and answering those questions.

Face painting (as well as arms and hands) was a hit.




English and art skills put together for good use!






At first I was told that boys wouldn't be interested. Not true.




Most popular things to have painted: roses, hearts, Morocco theme, and a full-on clown face.










She loves New York too!




Me with some of my cool English students (and check out the view from the carnival!)




Girls racing = awesome




My English students definitely like having photos taken.




This is just a fraction of the (mostly younger) kids that came.




My counterparts and helpers - they did a really good job.




My friend and fellow YD volunteer came for the weekend to enjoy the Middle Atlas and the carnival. Can you find her? (It's not really as hard as "Where's Waldo")

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Marc--

Tell me more about the geography of Morocco. I thought it was desert but you're mentioning green. Is there a body of water, a river or something?

Also, what does dar shebab mean?
I have a lot to learn.

Very cool face painting.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Marc said...

Hi Linda,

Morocco is actually very geographically diverse. The coasts (up to the mountains) have a Mediterranean climate. This is where there is a lot of farmland. Also most of the big cities and the majority of the population are here. Then there are the mountains that run through most of the country. There are the Rif mountains in the north, the Middle Atlas in the middle, the High Atlas just below them, and the Anti-Atlas in the south. The climate of the mountains vary depending if you're on the rainy side (which I am) or the dry and barren side. To the south and southeast of the mountains the Sahara (desert) begins. At first it is a barren rocky kind of desert, but also is a sand dune desert in places. There are quite a few rivers that come from the mountains. They form the gorges and the green parts of the desert (oasis and palmeries).

Also, 'dar chebab' literally means 'house of youth'. It is a youth center (where I work). Students come here to study after school. Extra classes are here (like my English classes). Clubs meet at the dar chebab. There are also activities, other meetings, and presentations. It's an important part of the community!

Talk to you more later

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Marc
With Mom's help I finally saw your pictures on the blog and I must say - "I'm very impressed!" You are going to be an experienced teacher, photographer, anecdotalist, fine cheese and wine eater (and drinker) (From your last gig).
Now that I've found you I'll be able to keep in touch.
What kind - be specific - of supplies do you wish to have?
Talk to you soon - and thanks to Mom for guiding me to you!
Love,
Beverly

1:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous loves you!

1:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home