Monday, March 13, 2006

a weekend in Fes

What a fun quick weekend in Fes! I'm back after a very nice trip (my weekends are Sundays and Mondays). It was good to meet up with a few volunteer friends that I haven't seen in months. I did however spend about 10 hours in two days on buses.

We did a lot of walking and getting lost in the old medina during the day and actually stayed in the old medina for the first time even though I've been to Fes quite a bit. The weather has gotten awesome and it was great for wandering. That's the best thing to do especially since I wasn't in the market for a rug/dagger/jellaba/leather anything.

The doors are really cool




We also got to see how rich people travel. Other friends of ours were splurging on this very nice riad in the old medina. One night here costs more than two months rent of my house. Unbelievable!




Their rooftop view over the city was also incredible. Since we were there at sunset we listened to the call to prayer echoing across the city from the many mosques nearby.




That's not to say that our PCV appropriate pension wasn't cool. Although being directly across the narrow street from a mosque did kind of wake me up at 5. But our view was fun too.




I think I may have seen more foreigners this weekend than I have in six months. Another bonus was all the shopping for (Western) house supplies that aren't really available around me. I was really glad to meet my host brother (from training) for breakfast. We were again at one of the most fun tourist watching places ever, Bab Bou Jeloud

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home